Thursday, December 28, 2006

My Mom's Best Friend

Hi All (If there's anyone left),

It's been a while so I'm not sure if anyone reads this anymore but regardless I'll use this arena to vent. In the past, I've spoken here predominantly about my dad's illness and death which occurred about a year ago now. I'm sorry to report that my mom has sustained another great loss in her life.

We got Muti about 12 years ago as a tiny little baby dog. My brother and I were both still at my parent's home at the time and we kept her in an egg crate. She was about the size of our arm from finger to elbow. We used to cradle her in our arm and hold her like a baby. She cried and cooooed before barking and warmed on the graces of everyone she met. Prior to having this dog, I would have walked across the street if I saw a dog on my path. I was frightened of all animals.

Soon enough she started to grow. She got very playful. She ran circles around herself chasing her tail for endless amounts of time. If you took out a towel to play with her, she could entertain you for hours trying to grab it and hang on. Her zest for these activities was literally like watching a child walk and talk for the first time. Her appetite for food was ferocious. We trained her to not walk on carpets and go to the bathroom out back without anyone having to walk her. She was such a great dog with so little maintenance. She ate the food you gave her but was pleasantly surprised when you gave her real food. She listened when you called her or sent her away. She knew her place and always stayed out of the way when people who were scared of her were around. She was very gentle around my kids later on and was so careful not to move near them as the strength of her eventual 60 pound body could have knocked them over with just a wag of her tail. She was really all that you could ask for in a dog.

When my father passed away, Muti became my mom's security blanket. She was thrilled to still have something in the house to come home to and her frightening bark let my mother know when there were strangers or anyone around. My mom didn't sit down to meals entirely alone as there was always another physical being around. I understand now where the quote "Dog is man's best friend" comes from. Muti was just what my mom needed at the time to keep her from going insane.

About two to three weeks ago, Muti started showing signs of sickness. Her belly swelled up and she became very lethargic. My mom took her to a vet to get her checked. They said it was probably advanced illness of some sort and wanted to take ex-rays. She asked the vet what could be done for any of the illnesses suspected. He said not much do to her age. She did not subject Muti to the ex-rays. She brought her home not sure what to do with her. We all told her to put Muti to sleep and keep her out of pain and misery. She couldn't bring herself to do it knowing that when she got to the vet, her sweet dog was going to get killed. Last night Muti came into my mom's room and was struggling with her breathing. My mom called my brother and told him she wanted to take the dog right then to take care of it. She couldn't watch Muti suffer. The dog barely made to the car on her own. By the time they got to the vet, my brother had to carry the dog in. They walked into the door, and as they did Muti fell to the floor and died. It was natural and my mom was happy she didn't have to do anything to her. She and I will miss her terribly.

8 Comments:

Blogger Still Wonderin' said...

Thanks for spreading the gloom.

Do I get points for still chercking in...?

3:51 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I'm still here.

Sorry for your loss.

4:47 PM  
Blogger swiftthinker said...

Sorry SW,
Gloom is what I know this year. Thanks for Cherking in.

Hey air,
Did you have the pleasure of ever meeting muti?

5:38 PM  
Blogger Still Wonderin' said...

Regualar people check in. I cherck in.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

I'm so sorry. Sorry I can't be there for this one... How's your Mom feeling? Call me. Same 248 number.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

i never met muti, but that is OK. I can remember her fondly now instead of as a dog that drooled on my shoes.

6:55 AM  
Blogger barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

5:53 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I can understand what you and your mom feel. A pet is a priceless friend.

May Muti rest in peace.

This is Nancy from Israeli Uncensored News

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home